Backstrap Weaving in Chirijox
Backstrap Weaving Demonstrations Program:
- Get an introduction to Maya Cosmovision and Ancestral Beliefs
- Meet with a Traditional Healer and learn about Maya Natural Medicine
- Handwarp yarn into balls
- Stretch the thread around the warping board to create the design
- Backstrap liso weaving demonstrations
- Apply brocade and embroidery to backstrap woven textiles
Time: from 9 am to 3 pm (flexible)
Price: for information about our prices, please contact us.
The artisans are paid a fair wage for their time and involvement in each of the activities. Proceeds support our social community programs. (Pricing includes a tax donation receipt for US citizens)
Tours are in English and Spanish.
Included: Round trip transportation from Maya Traditions office to the community and typical lunches (vegetarian and vegan meals available upon request).
Tours are customizable. Homestay, private transportation, and other services can be arranged.