Two-day Natural Dye and Backstrap Weaving Workshop in San Juan
- Natural dyeing demonstration - dye and yarn your own thread and use it the following day to make your own woven piece of work
- Handwrap yarn into balls
- Stretch the threads around the warping board to create the design
- ikat tying demonstration
- liso backstrap weaving demonstration
- Stay with a homestay family from Maya Traditions'artisan partners
- Meet with your personal indigenous master weaver at 9 am
- Create your own scarf or wall adornment piece - choose up to 5 stunning colors!
- Stretch the thread around the warping board to create the design
- Prepare the backstrap loom
- Have lunch with your artisan teacher
- Finish backstrap weaving by 3 pm and keep your woven work of art
Optional: cook delicious traditional Guatemalan tamales.
Time: 2 days from 9 am to 4 pm on the next day (flexible)
Price: for information about our prices, please contact us.
The artisans are paid a fair wage for their time and involvement in each of the activities. Proceeds support our social community programs. (Pricing includes a tax donation receipt for US citizens)
Tours are in English and Spanish.
Included: Round trip transportation from Maya Traditions office to the community and typical lunches (vegetarian and vegan meals available upon request).
Tours are customizable. Homestay, private transportation, and other services can be arranged.